Friday, March 24, 2006

Punctuate the mother!

IF I were a mother, and English, I would be ashamed of most of my children. Honestly, when will they ever learn it is Mother’s Day and not Mothers Day?

Everywhere I go I see special offer signs. The butcher, the pub-owner, the postman, the mechanic, the gas man, the garbage man, everyone’s got a deal for Mother. And everyone seems to have more than one mother, bar W H Smith and a few other worthies who I am sure hired a professional proof-reader.

For fucks –- I mean, fuck’s -- sake, get that apostrophe in.

Labels: , , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I refer you Chindu, to Eats, Shoots and Leaves, a book devoted to day to day grammar mistakes in the public eye. I think I got it for my mum last Mother's Day actually.

2:03 AM  
Blogger Chindu said...

James, great to see your blog. Keep writing!

:-) Thanks, Tim. Lynne Truss is good, yes, and concise. Very useful.

9:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/g2/story/0,,1888977,00.html

12:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bugger Blogger: Check this out.

12:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Genial brief and this fill someone in on helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you for your information.

5:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home